Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008.


The Blue Marble, taken by the Apollo 17 crew

Happy Earth Day, my lovelies! Isn't she a beauty at 4.5 billion years old? We humans have walked the earth for only 200,000 years, and look at the damage we've done. As a beauty junkie, I've generated more than my fair share of waste and I'm sure manufacturing plants of my favourite products have pumped tonnes of toxic chemicals into the environment. I have been thinking hard about reducing my beauty carbon footprint and easing into "organic" skincare. Although researchers have assured us that our regular beauty products will hardly harm us even with long term use, I would prefer to purchase from a company that actively tries to minimize its impact on the environment. This would rule out many Procter and Gamble products as many of their factories are located in China. Procter and Gamble products are highly affordable and effective, however, so while it would be impractical to abandon them at once, we could phase out certain products and make a gradual transition to sustainable beauty practices in the long run.

For the rest of the week, I will be blogging about products and practices for that beauty junkies with a budding environmental conscience can incorporate into their daily routine. If you are already doing so, please feel free to share your experience with us by sending us an e-mail to theglossifieds [at] gmail [dot] com. We'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

siongee said...

I am excited to read about your take on organic skincare. I have been investigating organic makeup and skincare as well but have not fully taken the plunge yet...