Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Maybelline Great Lash (Waterproof): Test 1

This is touted as the Holy Grail of all mascaras for makeup artists around the world. Superstars swear by this humble tube of wonder. It's been around the block far longer than I have in this world. And, when Priceline had a sale on Maybelline products, I simply had to have it. One point that's noteworthy, despite its great raves and reviews from superstars and beauty magazines, it's not sold in Malaysia. Makes you truly wonder how great this is, honestly. Not only that, MakeupAlley reviewers don't seem to be giving this as many thumbs-up as I thought this mascara would get.

Test Conditions:
Undereye area is dabbed lightly with powder foundation to hide undereye circles.
Lashes crimped once with the Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

Application:
Once unscrewed from the tube, I dab the brush on a clean piece of tissue to remove the excess. As usual, I go zig-zag from base to the tip of my lashes. The bristles are rather sparse but I've got no problems with that since I do have relatively sparse lashes. As usual, I brush through my lashes with a lash comb upon completing with the application. Excess mascara has to be removed to ensure as little smudges as possible.

Verdict:
The mascara holds the curl rather well. I do see a bit of lengthening of my lashes. However, if you're after something that will thicken your lashes, you're in for a disappointment. It does coat the lashes relatively evenly with minimal to no clumping at all. This will not give you a dramatic change of looks. But, if you're after a simple, natural everyday look, this will be the mascara for you. There's no va-va-voom factor here at all. Just your regular girl-next-door look.

Most of you know that I have a hate-hate relationship with Maybelline mascaras. Waterproof, my arse would be my tagline most of the time. Surprisingly, this did not smudge at all. And, for that, I am astounded. I'm amazed. I'm left with my mouth gaping wide open in astonishment. I'm dumbfounded.

I've to retract my "waterproof, my arse" sweeping statement for Maybelline mascaras then. I might say,

"Waterproof my arse! (Other than Great Lash)".

No comments: