Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Review on Bobbi Brown’s Stonewashed Nudes Palette


As stated previously, I absolutely need to get used to wearing nudes and browns with the slightest hint of shimmer for a corporate boardroom look. Women I see walking along Collins St in Melbourne all sport nudes and browns while in their corporate suits. I suppose it's about time I get used to seeing natural colours on my eyes. Thus, the reason this palette was acquired. Of course, having seen how Shryh manages her Vincent Longo so prettily, I tried to convince myself I could wear nudes and browns well too. I was not disappointed.

Colours: 7 colours in the palette.
Navajo is a matte beige wash which is similar to the best-selling shadow from Bobbi Brown, Bone. This colour, when applied onto my lids hardly showed but it is good enough as an all-over base colour. As a highlighter, it's very disappointing. When highlighting the brow bone, I had to root around in my train case for another colour.
Mica is a shimmer wash eye shadow. It is pale brown in colour. Looking at it now, I think this can be used as a blending colour from crease upwards for the smokey effect.
Ash is a shimmer wash as well and this is lighter than the previous colour and I can see myself using this for the inner eyes.
Hot Stone is a matte brown which is similar to my Averine eyeshadow. I've used this successfully from lash line to crease, giving the eyes instant depth with only a hint of colour. Definitely office-friendly.
Stonewash is shimmer wash I used together with Hot Stone today. I used it as a blending colour and to add a bit of shimmer to the entire eye.
Rock is my favourite colour of the entire palette. It's a shimmer wash in grey. For me, this is the easiest way to get the smokey-ish eye effect with one swatch of colour.
Espresso is another matte colour in the palette. It's often used as an eyeliner and I like it just the way it is. My next experiment will bring me to using this not only as an eyeliner but also to use it to smudge the outer eyes.

Texture: All the colours are very sheer making it extremely easy to build upon for a more intense look. I love it that the eyeshadows come in both matte and shimmer allowing us to create almost unlimited different looks. Of course, one needs the skill for; of which I'm sorely lacking in.

Smell: None whatsoever. I like it that way. Somehow it fits the Bobbi Brown image of fuss-free and simplistic makeup.

Waterproof/Long lasting: Unfortunately I've yet to be able to test this feature out properly. With Urban Decay Potion Primer, I doubt any shadow would dare to even crease.

Usability: This palette comes with a double-ended brush. On one end is the soft bristles for the eyeshadows. On the other end is the stiffer one for eyeliner. I love both the brushes and I think Bobbi Brown's done a fabulous job with this eyeliner brush. The previous one I got from them - Ultra fine eye liner brush is quite rubbishy. The bristles are uneven in length making it so difficult to apply the gel eyeliner. The bristles for the eyeshadow is thick and is of the correct size to apply just the right amount of colour to the eye. It took me a while to get used to the shape of the brush for proper application and to know how to angle the brush to the different parts of the eye. But, overall, I would certainly say this is a very usable palette that will bring you from day to night very easily. Slip this into your bag as you head out for the day. For an evening out, simply pick some colours to build upon your existing shadows for a smokey eye effect for a night out. It's also very easy to use and I cannot see how anyone can make a mistake with application. In other words, it's extremely idiot-proof, even for someone like me who shies away from nudes and browns.

Packaging: This comes in a grey brushed metal casing. It feels cool to touch and has a heavy feel to it. I was certainly surprised by this packaging. Most Bobbi Brown products come in a black plastic case. Since this is a limited edition product, I thought it was fitting.

Price: RM190.00 for this palette. Steep? VERY. But, considering how usable it is, and how this would actually be an investment, I would say, it's money well-spent.

Overall: Just get it if you can. You'll have no regrets. It'll garner you the is-she-wearing-eyeshadow-or-is-she-not 2nd looks. Easy to use, great effects and most definitely worth the investment.

No comments: